Pages

Monday 1 July 2013

Happiness


Here's the thing. Happiness makes you pretty. It makes you handsome. It makes you smart- or your dumbness not so unappealing. I have been unhappy for so long that I don't remember what 'happiness' is like. I know the academic expression of it.

I met my girlfriend on the internet. Not on a dating site, but on Afterellen- a special interest site for lesbians. We met in a chat room. We messaged each other. I found her terribly funny and she made me smile, even across the electronic pathways. Writing to her made me so happy.

Suddenly I found myself walking down the streets smiling. She later confessed that she almost got hit by a bus because she was so 'happily distracted' by me.

It is impossible to have happiness without experiencing an element of control in your life. And now I had stumbled into this beautiful friendship created by me and for me, controlled by me.

It had got to the point in the religion where I no longer had any or enough control. And I think that contributed to my depression. And I think it contributes to a lot of Jehovah's witnesses feeling pressured by the 'system' and 'weighed down' and 'discouraged'. But I can't talk for them, but I can say that since I have left, the happiness has come back. The pressure is gone and the days are brighter. I'm not happy 24/7. But the door is open for me to do so much more about my own happiness. That's empowering, that's control!

A friend of mine left the religion and her long time illness disappeared. People in the religion said that it was because she was in denial and 'running on adrenaline' and that it wouldn't last. But, 10 years later, she is still illness free. A relative of mine had several painful ailments and when he left the religion they also left him. He can't say why, unlike so many Jehovah's Witnesses he is not a doctor! But, he has a theory that the religion makes you sick.

It doesn't seem like a lot, only semantics, but the religion often tells it's followers how happy they are. And when you are in the religion and you are unhappy the only thing that happens is you internalize your feelings into illness or depression. Remember at this point, when you believe everything you read, there is no reason to doubt the truth of the 'happiness' statement. And I just kept thinking how unhappy I was and wondering what was wrong with me.
 
Further reading













No comments:

Post a Comment